In what I thought was one of the major highlights of LIGHTFAIR, GE unveiled a new family LED edge-lit fixtures. These recessed and suspended fixtures feature an ultra-thin “light guide”…
In what I thought was one of the major highlights of LIGHTFAIR, GE unveiled a new family LED edge-lit fixtures. These recessed and suspended fixtures feature an ultra-thin “light guide” with built-in LED technology to gain longer life, slimmer profile, innovative form factors, better control such as full dimming capability and unmatched architectural styling. As an LED system, the fixtures also provide environmental and ease-of-recycling gains derived from not containing mercury or other hazardous materials.
The new GE LED fixtures will be available as ceiling troffers and suspended fixtures that will appear to float in thin air through a dramatically framed light source. Each fixture will feature high-quality transparent or opaque light panels coupled with Rambus MicroLens technology that allows lighting designers to do more with the fixture’s light output. Through the use of proprietary optical modeling software and design techniques, the MicroLens “ray-angle control pattern” can be customized to efficiently spread light across the entire lighting surface or focus the light in specific locations.
The LED technology and optics of the new fixtures work in tandem to eliminate the hot spots common among fluorescent options. Each fixture will deliver uniform, bright light—both diffuse and directional—in a thin design that allows for a clean appearance. The controlled contrast functionality of the new GE fixtures will allow a user to enhance a room’s overall aesthetic.
* High CRI — A CRI of 80 or higher ensures a welcoming environment.
* Long Life — Each fixture type will carry a minimum rating of 35,000 hours (eight years at 12 hours of use each day), compared with a 20,000-hour rating for traditional fluorescent fixtures.
* Reduced Maintenance Costs — Ultra-efficient LED technology will reduce the frequency of re-lamping.
* Instant Start — The LED fixtures will turn on instantly without flickers, socket shadows or hot spots.
* Dimming Capabilities — Each product will be dimmable at 0-10 volts. Most will be DALI compliant, a feature that allows light fixtures to be integrated into a central control system.
* Environmental Benefits — In addition to its energy-saving lighting components, each fixture includes materials that can be recycled at the end of life. The LED fixtures do not contain any mercury, lead or glass, making handling and disposal less of a concern.
* Five-Year Limited Warranty — GE will help protect users against unexpected repairs.
* Upgradable — Replaceable light engines will be available at the end of the products’ useful light life, saving the expense of purchasing entirely new fixtures and allowing for an upgrade to the newest LED packages.
GE’s family of LED edge lighting ceiling troffer fixtures becomes available late 2011, while GE’s suspended European-inspired LED edge lighting fixtures are expected to arrive on the scene the first half of 2012.
Click here to learn more.