Norma Frank on the Hidden Cost of LED Maintenance
Norma Frank, CLMC of Colorado Lighting and chair of the IES Maintenance Committee contributed a maintenance column to a recent issue of LD+A Magazine. In the column, she says:
* LED luminaires are highly integrated
* Not all luminaires are easily field serviceable
* If LED components are serviceable, a lack of standardized connections typically means a light engine or driver must be replaced by same component or one approved by the manufacturer
* Field replacement is problematic due to short product cycles in industry
* Maintenance personnel must hunt replacement parts or complete luminaires, which is very time-consuming and present an unexpected cost to the owner
That’s the problem, she points out. She goes on to speculate on how to mitigate it. Check out her column here.